Last week my mother and I were talking on the phone and she mentioned how she and my dad are fans of Downton Abbey. I mentioned that Geoff and I had never seen it. Not one episode.
That could not stand, so my mother shipped us season 1 and 2 on DVD. They arrived just before Nemo did. We watched all of them during the storm. We may have over done it a touch.
How to Know When You’ve Been Watching Too Much Downton Abbey
1) We’ve taken to calling Bucky “m’lord”
2) When Scratch misbehaves, I call him “Thomas”
3) When Geoff finishes whatever he’s cooking he presents it with a tea towel over his arm and announces what’s on the plate.
4) While shoveling snow we were wondering where the footmen were.
5) We find ourselves asking “how would Carson do it?”
6) I catch myself calling Thumbelina, Isis.
7) Geoff finds himself with the Downton Abbey theme song stuck in his head. For hours.
8) We’re actively worried about Mr. Bates and we’re sure we know who really did it.
9) We think we should send Rerun on a fox hunt if only so he’ll actually have something to bark about.
10) We can’t wait for Season 3 to get here. (Yes, my mother has all of Season 3 already.) We’re actively avoiding spoilers.
11) We keep looking around corners for O’Brien.
12) Geoff and I are triple checking to make sure we’re not actually distant cousins. Really.
13) We’ve started pronouncing valet with the t.