Kelly Hopkins, Greater Boston Area, Kelly.Hopkins@gmail.com, 617.396.7664
I am an unusual mix of computer geek, socially adept people person, science teacher, writer, event planner, and artist. I have been working in various database, marketing, writing, content management, and analytical positions for many years. In fact, since my graduation with my music degree and while maintaining a performing career, I have worked almost exclusively in technical, customer service, and administrative positions of one kind or another. I am an exceptional problem solver, trainer, database manager, event planner, and organizer. I am currently happily employed at MIT.
MIT Libraries- Office of the Director
Administrative Assistant to the Director of Research & the Associate Director for Information Technology and Digital Development. 2015 – present
- 20 hours/week position supporting the ITDD department, the Info Science program, and the Office of the Library Director.
- Promoted to 35 hours/week in 2016.
- Office management for ITDD office of ~20 people.
- Event prep, scheduling, organizing, and management for workshops, classes, meetings, parties, and conferences for various stakeholders within the Libraries, MIT, other academic institutions, the Federal Government, and beyond.
- Extensive and complicated calendaring for multiple individuals and groups in various places throughout campus, Cambridge, online, and elsewhere.
- Travel reservations, conference registrations, and financial reconciliations of same. Monthly budgetary report production, company card reports and reconciliations.
- Member of the Artists Beyond the Desk and Craft Fair committees, both subcommittees of the Working Group on Support Staff Issues.
Harvard University – Museums of Science and Culture
Museum Shop & Visitor Services 2013 – Present
- On-call position in Visitor Services and Museum Shop for Harvard Museum of Natural History & Peabody Museum.
- Greet visitors, sell tickets, parking, City Passes, and Go Boston cards as appropriate. Process discounts, free admission, and other partner discounts as required.
- Direct incoming calls and assist lost visitors and Harvard Square tourists.
- Work with school and camp groups upon arrival as well as in the shop to maintain order and reinforce HMSC rules regarding food and drink, flash photography, etc.
- Perform opening and end of day transactions in POS system for ticket and retail sales.
- Maintain and uphold University policy regarding information security and credit card compliance.
- Work special events as needed including weddings, book signings, and other university events.
Museum of Science
Overnight Program Instructor 2004 – Present
- Prepare and teach science education curriculum to participants visiting the museum on overnight stays 3-7 evenings a month.
- Utilize established activities while adding new approaches to teach various types of science to mixed groups of children aged 6-16.
- Work with live animals, electricity, owl pellets, and other tools to bring a fun and fresh approach to learning science.
- Responsibilities include management of adult chaperones, supplies, meetings & team teaching with other instructors, and following all safety procedures and protocols of the museum regarding participant safety and animal handling.
- Finalist in Museum of Science internal awards program for Outstanding Service to a Visitor, 2015.
- Started as a volunteer, hired as a teaching assistant, promoted to a full Instructor for 2005-2006 season. Part time seasonal position.
PREVIOUS PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
The Seraphim Singers
General Manager, Concert Manager 1998 – 2016 (on sabbatical 2013-2014 season)
- While singing in most concerts, manage all front of house activities, hire volunteer ushers, when necessary arrange for Police details.
- Handle the safety and security of the cash box, CDs for sale, signage, and safety of musician belongings & personal items.
- Coordinate with the venue in advance of each event to ensure access, parking, storage, other needs.
- Ensure needs of outside vendors such as visiting musicians and sound engineers are met.
- Follow established city, state, and national protocols for fire code and handicap access.
- Coordinate post concert events for performers, friends, family, etc.
- Arrange the purchase of flowers for soloists, visiting artists, composers, etc.
- Assist with proofreading of programs including layout, foreign language translation/corrections, grammar, etc.
- Unpaid volunteer position.
- Former Board Member.
Administrator & Box Office Manager 2015
- Work from home position administering all aspects of social media, PR, and ticketing.
- Work hand in glove with Marketing Consultant, Board of Directors, and Marketing Consultant to provide seamless service to all musicians, concert goers, volunteers, and other stakeholders.
- Audience development via social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Ticketing services via Brown Paper Tickets & Square Up.
- Concert day set up, management, break down, and trouble shooting.
- Cash handling and reconciliation for all concerts and private events.
- Mailing list management, vendor relations, implementation of new CRM (2015-16 season).
Museum of Science
Membership Representative 2013 – 2016
- Front line customer service in Membership Booth and at select member events.
- Assist members, potential members, and new members with questions, purchases, ticket exchanges, and returns.
- Ticketing, troubleshooting, and benefit explanations for members.
- Communicate with other AZA and ASTC institutions to verify memberships for visiting members from other institutions.
- Process upgrades, renewals, and other financial membership transactions.
- Act as Sr. staff member, manager, and trainer to junior members of the department as necessary. Contribute to training manual updates and marketing efforts as needed.
- Multiple times recognized by members via comment cards and twice by a Secret Shopper for outstanding customer service.
Visitor Services Representative 2011 – 2015
- Cashier for regular and special event museum ticketing, Box Office, and front line customer service.
- Coat room attendant for special events.
- Front line customer service for Butterfly Garden, Discovery Center, 3D Theatre, and main museum entrance.
- Omni Theatre staff for regular movie showings.
- Started as part-time cashier position with visiting Pompeii exhibit.
Harvard Book Store
Event Staff 2012 – 2014
- Prepare the store for special in-house author events.
- Staff private and store sponsored offsite events at locations such as Harvard University, the Simmons Leadership Conference, and the Brattle Theatre.
- Maintain cash box, inventory, and supplies when offsite. Manage sales via iPad and Square Up application.
- Handle seating and crowd control in-store. Assist with audio-visual set up.
- Staff the semi-annual Warehouse Sale, work a register, re-shelve books, and assist customers.
Harvard University – Music Department
Hall Manager & Security- Paine Hall 2013
- Manage student organizations & visiting artists in Paine Hall.
- Reinforce established policies on Paine Hall usage re: food and drink, start and stop times, instrument storage, fire exits, etc.
- Manage security, lock and unlock doors to green room(s) and back stage as necessary.
- Interface with Event Coordinator & Event Manager to ensure all events run smoothly.
- Assist and provide information to HUPD if necessary.
- Lock up and close building at end of each event.
Youth pro Musica
Chorus Manager 2012
- Attend auditions, rehearsals, and concerts.
- Assist the Artistic Director with planning tours, concerts, events for YpM participants, as well as the annual calendar.
- Schedule auditions and manage the process for potential new members.
- Work with parent volunteers and other volunteer staff for YpM events, rehearsals, and concerts.
- Work with the Board of Directors on Development.
- Interface with local and out-of-town/state groups for collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Interface with volunteers and vendors to ensure that the website is maintained, publicity produced, and appropriate volunteer staff is available at every event and rehearsal.
Harvard University – Fromm Foundation
Fromm Jury Assistant October 2012
- Manage schedule over 3 day period for Fromm Jury.
- Establish and organize procedure for reviewing recordings and scores with the Jury.
- Maintain confidential proceedings with regard to the submissions and the identities of the Jurors.
- Keep track of submissions reviewed, status of each submission, and progress made each day.
- Communicate progress, problems, and other topics with the Fromm Administrator.
- Responsible for room lock up, security, and A/V usage each day.
Free Software Foundation
Directory Maintainer 2008 – 2010
- Maintain online and off-line databases for jobs website, Free Software Directory, and hardware directory under the direction of the founder, Richard Stallman and the executive team.
- Vet all requests for software inclusion in database and legal compliance with GPL, LGPL, etc.
- Manage accuracy of multiple databases while handling requests from the public, supporters, and staff.
- Maintain relations with outside parties wishing to advertise on jobs database.
- Leverage 3 areas of responsibility in response to the needs of the executive and campaign teams.
- Manage volunteers as needed.
Free Software Foundation & GNU Press
Operations Assistant 2007 – 2008
- Interact with all GNU Press customers and FSF members, process donations, solve problems with shipping providers, first point of contact for all customers, executives, and most members.
- Manage online store, critical to the team involved in major web storefront overhaul, write copy & arrange for photographs of all inventory.
- Manage the FSF office and all aspects of operations including, payroll, AP, AR, monthly reconciliations, ordering supplies, etc.
- Manage the GNU Press and all aspects of fulfillment, inventory management, database accuracy, reprints, vendor relations, etc.
- Administer health & dental insurance programs, COBRA enrollment for former employees, bi-weekly payroll, TIAA-CREF retirement plan, etc.
Pearson Education, LLC-
Allyn & Bacon/Longman
Product Information Coordinator 2005 – 2007
- Directly responsible for the accuracy of information on multiple websites, databases, sales tools, fliers, search engines, and internal resources for multiple lists of books comprising totals in excess of $80 million projected sales for ©2009.
- Responsible for all data points related to every title published in © 2009 for most of the Allyn & Bacon imprint.
- Interface daily with every department in the company at virtually every level.
- Deliver large and small-scale training to new hires & entire departments on a regular basis.
- Essential job skills include exceptional customer service abilities, time management, problem solving, multitasking, and the ability to learn and assimilate new technologies quickly while working under pressure.
- Recipient of quarterly Above & Beyond award for outstanding work outside of the duties required of my job description.
Allyn & Bacon
Editorial Assistant 2004 – 2005
- Coordinate all aspects of submission of educational manuscripts for production into textbooks.
- Primary contact with all authors and professionals in Higher Education related output of assigned book list.
- Assist Editor in all manner of correspondence, assembling contracts & correspond with legal department, scheduling peer review of educational texts (40+ projects/year).
- Process payments to freelancers, selection and hiring of freelancers for authoring of supplements.
- Worked with other departments to establish new procedures to reduce costs related to subsequent editions of books saving the company thousands of dollars in work hours and lost revenues annually.
- Recipient of quarterly Above & Beyond award for outstanding peer mentor work.
Antiques at 80 Charles (now defunct)
Copy Writer & Researcher 2003 – 2008
- Research and write text descriptions for Ebay items, manage online Ebay database.
- Translation in and out of multiple languages, research in library of 50+ reference books in various languages.
- Web research, sales comparisons from competing vendors, valuation of musical instruments.
- Assist in running Ebay online sales, computer management and upkeep, process online payments.
- Maintain daily sales log, maintain inventory, and educate customers on antiques.
- Other duties as required. Part time position as of 6/2004.
- Meeting scheduling & coordination, liaising with actors, directors, playwrights and other vendors to produce regular shows and tours.
- General office management on a limited budget, technical maintenance, computer troubleshooting.
- Hiring and supervision of interns, volunteers, and part-time staff.
- Establish operational infrastructure and overhaul existing systems to improve performance and efficiency.
New England School of Law Library (now New England Law)
Technical Services Assistant 2002 – 2003
- Assist library computer lab users with questions, computer maintenance, and database maintenance.
- A/V set ups.
- Periodicals maintenance, shelving, filing, microfilm & newspaper maintenance, inter-library periodical exchange.
- Part time position.
New England College of Optometry
Liaison for Dept of Administration 2001 – 2002
- Coordinate between two offices for all administrative functions including building maintenance, physical plant activities, IT infrastructure problems, mail services, purchasing, and other systems.
- Write new databases in Filemaker for various departments.
- Technical training and computer upgrades, vendor relations, other projects as needed.
Robert Half International, Inc.
District and Regional Technical Consultant 1999 – 2001
- Technical support specialist and database manager for an office of 110, second tier support contact for 18 offices on the east coast and all senior management in those offices.
- Duties included LAN connectivity, trouble shooting Windows NT/2000 and MicroJ (proprietary Oracle based DB), hardware assembly, managing computer inventory, telephone maintenance and connectivity, Mac localtalk network upgrade, Y2K compliance, co-authoring of national MicroJ instructional handbook and operational best practice handouts, regional consultant and trainer in specialized database usage and software support, and trainer in Microsoft Outlook and MicroJ.
- Lead technical researcher for all confidential legal proceedings, contact and coordinator with IT department in CA, structural designer and maintenance for regional website, design and implementation of new training procedures, copywriter and technical writer for various in-house publications and web sites.
- Direct supervision of two employees.
- Promoted from Administrative Assistant after 6 months.
Marsh Chapel Music
Administrative Director, BU Bach Festival 1997 – 1999
- Direct all publicity including creation of direct mail pieces and web site, coordinate payroll and housing for all participants.
- J1 visa applications for foreign participants, produce all correspondence, create festival program book.
- Design and order printing of festival tickets, travel coordination/reimbursement.
- Coordinate rehearsal and performance space for festival, book scholars for symposia series.
- Supervise and coordinator all volunteers and employees.
Marsh Chapel Music
Administrative Assistant to the University Choirmaster 1997 – 1999
- Typing, phones, filing, concert coordination, orchestral (non-union) and choral contracting.
- Assembly of parts and scores, performance space coordinator, season brochure and performance program design and production.
- Arrangement of texts and translations, contracting of program note writers, publicity, fundraising.
Marsh Chapel Music
President, Marsh Chapel Choir 1997 – 1999
- Organization of publicity, music, recruitment and preparation of choir for weekly services and concerts.
- Manage website construction and upkeep.
- Produce concert programs and provide all concert publicity information to internal and external media sources.
- Non-union orchestral and vocal contracting, often of volunteers. Unpaid elected position.
Boston University – Bachelor’s Degree: Music, Vocal Performance
Anti-virus & Anti-Malware Software
Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
Powerpoint, Access, etc.)
Standard Networking Protocols
Technical Writing (manuals)
Windows (all varieties)
Box Office & Front of House
Event Planning, Coordination & Management
Jewelry Repair & Crafting
Marketing & Fundraising
Standard Office Equipment
PROFESSIONAL & RECREATIONAL AFFILIATIONS