In which gravity and I fight, gravity wins, and the human race comes through.

On my way home from work every day I generally walk a mile to a T stop that is 2 stops away from work. I do this to get exercise and also to decompress from work. I did this yesterday and also stopped at CVS to pick up some scrips for me and Geoff. After I left CVS I crossed the street and sped up a bit to avoid an oncoming car.  As I did this I approached the pedestrian island in the middle of the street and as I went to step up the toe of my right shoe got caught in the hem of my left pant leg. (You can see where this is going, right?)

Yeah, splat.

I went down. Hard. I landed mostly on my right knee and then on my left. I had my backpack on and I landed in such a way that I rolled onto my right side and got up almost immediately. By the time I got up blood had already soaked through what was left of the right leg of my pants. As I rolled up the leg of my pants to investigate there were rivulets of blood running down to my sock from my knee.

Excellent, my own bloody sock. I guess that makes me a real Red Sox fan.

At this point I had attracted the attentions of two British tourists who were very concerned for my well being. They were very concerned as I got out my first aid kit (I always carry one in my backpack) quickly bandaged the gaping would in my knee, and tried to clean off the blood on my leg. It wasn’t until after I poured water down my leg that a man appeared, quite literally out of nowhere, offering me disinfecting wipes. Those were a Godsend.

It was then that I realized that not only were my hands covered in my own blood, the lady half of the British tourist couple was patiently holding my cell phone that had flown free and landed in the street when I went down. I rinsed my hands off and took the phone from her very gingerly. Then I thanked them and hobbled toward the T station where I realized that my bandage had soaked through. I changed it there and, in the process, a young woman on a bike asked me if she could get someone from the MBTA to help me. I declined, but was again impressed with how kind people were.

I called Geoff and woke him up out of a very sound nap. He hopped in the car and headed over to get me. Covered in blood and in torn clothes was not a great way to ride the T home. While I was waiting for him I called the 24 hour nurse line provided by my insurance company. As I’ve never had stitches before I asked when exactly one should get stitches. After going over the details of what happened (I had to explain to the very nice nurse that I fell onto a brick *sidewalk* not that someone had tried to hit me with a brick.) she said that the insurance company recommended that I go to the ER and be evaluated.

So, I went. And Geoff met me there.

And 6 hours later I left with 7 stitches, an X-ray of my knee (there’s a little fluid under the knee cap) and a full leg immobilizer.

That’s right kids. I’m not allowed to bend my knee for 14 days. I can walk (sort of) but I can’t walk normally or without the full leg immobilizer for the next 2 weeks. I have no idea how I’m going to commute, sit in my chair at the office, rehearse, etc. I can *barely* get in and out of the truck.

Is this the worst thing to happen ever? No. Am I hella sore today? Yes. Am I going to have some truly spectacular bruises? Absolutely.

So, Kelly- 0, Gravity- 1, General Public- 4


Add your $0.02.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: